For Current Students

For current graduate students in Condensed Matter Physics only; this is where to look for information about CMP postgraduate representatives and selected events. Links to useful University webpages are also provided.

Condensed Matter Physics Graduate Representatives

medium_Sabrina Sterzl Photo Prof.jpg

Jakub Mrozek

The Graduate Representatives for 2018/9 are Sabrina Sterzl (Group: Prof Michael Johnston) and Jakub Mrozek (Group: Quantum Materials). Please see our Facebook page here

Postgraduate Representatives

Who we are

Sabrina Sterzl
Research area: Photophysics of Perovskite Solar Cells

Jakub Mrozek
Research area: Quantum Materials

What we do

As representatives of CMP DPhil students, we attend committee meetings in the Sub-Department, Department, and (less often) the MPLS Division, at which postgraduate issues are discussed. More information about the committees is provided in the section 'Student Representation Arrangements', below.

We also organise occasional student events within the Sub-Department, details of which are circulated by email.

If you are a CMP DPhil student and there are any issues you would like us to raise at one of the committee meetings, or if you have any problems that we should be able to help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Student Representation Arrangements in CMP/Physics

Sub-Departmental level (CMP):

Graduate Liaison Committee meetings take place approximately once per term, or as required. These meetings are attended by the Head of the Sub-Department, the DGS for CMP, and two student representatives – currently Adam Wright and Hanyang Ye. Representatives are ratified by a show of hands at a meeting of CMP graduate students in Trinity Term or by an online vote.

Departmental level (Physics):

The Graduate Liaison Committee (GLC, formerly Postgraduate Joint Consultative Committee, PGJCC) meets once per term. Attendees include the Departmental DGS, Graduate Studies Officer for Physics, Assistant Head of Teaching (Academic), and one or more student representatives from each sub-department (Adam and/or Hanyang from CMP).

Divisional level (MPLS):

The Graduate Joint Consultative Forum (GJCF) meets twice each year. Representatives from each department in the Division attend for discussions with the Dean of Graduates and Divisional Officers. Physics is represented by a student member of the PGJCC – Jena Meinecke is currently the named GJCF representative for Physics but another PGJCC member may stand in if required.


Graduate Progression Forms

Forms which need to be filled in at various times (e.g. transfer of status, confirmation of status, appointment of examiners etc).
Click here to access.

MPLS Division Graduate School

‘The Graduate School is for all Master's and Doctoral students within the Mathematical, Physical & Life Sciences (MPLS) Division of the University of Oxford.’ The School’s website features links to GSS, material such as the MPLS graduate handbook and forms which need to be filled in.
Click here to access.

Graduate Academic Program (lecture database)

Database of lectures, courses etc. available across the MPLS division.
Click here to access (Oxford log-in details required).

IT in the Physics Department

IT-related matters in the Department – note particularly the section on Remote Access.
Click here to access.


The University’s online library catalogue – find and request books.
Click here to access.

Health and Safety

The Physics Department's Health and Safety site, providing various information plus contact details for the Physics Area Safety Officer.
Click here to access.

The University Careers Service

Click here to access.

The Oxford University Newcomers' Club

The Oxford University Newcomers’ Club exists to welcome to Oxford the wives/husbands/partners of newly appointed academics, of visiting academics and of postgraduate students.
Click here to access.

Student welfare contacts: where to go for help & support

There are various sources of help and support in the University. For example:

In the sub-department

The Director of Graduate Studies (Prof Arzhang Ardavan) and/or the Head of Condensed Matter Physics (Prof Robert Taylor).

In your College

Your College Advisor and/or the Tutor for Graduates. Other possible contacts may be listed on your College website – probably under the heading ‘Welfare’, in the ‘Current students’ section. MCRs also typically have a Welfare Officer and/or Peer Supporters, graduate students who have been trained to offer support to their peers; look on your MCR website.


Elsewhere: The University has a range of services for students in need of support and guidance, including a Counselling Service (Link ). For a full list, with links, see : Link .