C3 Condensed Matter Major Option
C3 option coordinator: a [dot] boothroyd1 [at] physics [dot] ox [dot] ac [dot] uk (Prof Andrew Boothroyd)
16/10/2013 Students registered for C3 have been assigned to classes.
The 4th year condensed matter physics option covers all the topics introduced in the 3rd year course, but at an academically much more satisfying level. The course is primarily aimed at those interested in pursuing a research career, and is designed to take you to a level where you can comprehend research publications over a wide range of areas.
Slides from introductory talk on C3 option can be found here.
- Symmetry. Crystal structure, reciprocal lattice, Brillouin zones — general treatment for non-orthogonal axes. X-ray, neutron and electron diffraction. Disordered materials.
- Lattice dynamics. Measurement of phonon dispersion. Thermal properties of crystals. Phase transitions. Soft modes.
- Electronic structure of solids. Semiconductors. Transport of heat and electrical current. Fermiology. Landau quantisation. Low-dimensional structures.
- Lorentz oscillator model. Optical response of free electrons and lattice. Optical transitions in semiconductors. Excitons.
- Isolated magnetic ions. Crystal field effects. Magnetic resonance. Exchange interactions. Localized and itinerant magnets. Magnetic ordering and phase transitions, critical phenomena, spin waves. Domains.
- Conventional and unconventional superconductors. Thermodynamic treatment. London, BCS and Ginzburg–Landau theories. Flux quantization, Josephson effects, quantum interference.
- Ashcroft and Mermin, Solid State Physics , Saunders, 1976.
- Kittel, Introduction to Solid State Physics (8th Ed), Wiley, 2005.
- Burns, Solid State Physics, Academic Press, 1990.
- Chaikin and Lubensky, Principles of Condensed Matter Physics, Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Dove, Structure and Dynamics, Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Hammond, The Basics of Crystallography and Diffraction, Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Giacovazzo et al., Fundamentals of Crystallography, Oxford University Press, 2002.
- Radaelli, Symmetry in Crystallography, Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Singleton, Band Theory and Electronic Properties of Solids, Oxford University Press 2001.
- Fox, Optical Properties of Solids, Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Blundell, Magnetism in Condensed Matter, Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Yosida, Theory of Magnetism, Springer, 1996.
- Annett, Superconductivity, Superfluids and Condensates, Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Tinkham, Introduction to Superconductivity, McGraw-Hill, 1996.
- Blundell, Superconductivity: A Very Short Introduction, Oxford University Press, 2009.
Condensed Matter Physics Subdepartment
Details of the classes for 2013/14 are listed here
Lectures, Handouts and Problem Sets
The course is divided into five section: crystal structure & dynamics, optical properties of solids, band theory, magnetism and superconductivity. Details of each part are given below. Lecture notes and problem sheets are only available for download within the university computer network (if you are outside Oxford you must use the login given in the lectures).
Crystal Structure & Dynamics (2013/14)
Prof PG Radaelli [10 lectures (MT), 2 classes]
- Slides 1[pdf]
- Slides 2[pdf]
- Slides 3[pdf]
- Slides 4[pdf]
- Slides 5[pdf]
- Slides 6[pdf]
- Slides 7[pdf]
- Slides 8[pdf]
- Slides 9[pdf]
- Slides 10[pdf]
Mostly full ab initio derivations of all the important formulas and some additional topic.
- Supplementary Material - Lectures 1-4 [pdf]
- Supplementary Material - Lectures 5-7 [pdf]
- Supplementary Material - Lectures 8-10 [pdf]
- All wallpaper groups [pdf]
- All frieze groups [pdf]
- All 2D and 3D point groups [pdf]
- International Tables sample [pdf]
- Wallpaper patterns by Maurits Cornelis Escher
Band Theory and Electronic Properties of Solids (2013/14)
Prof RJ Nicholas [10 lectures (MT), 2 classes]
- Lecture overheads [pdf] Overheads from lectures 1&2
- Lecture overheads [pdf] Overheads from lectures 3,4,5
- Lecture overheads [pdf] Overheads from lectures 6&7
- Lecture overheads [pdf] Overheads from lectures 8,9,10
Handout 1 covers revision of 3rd year material
Lectures begin with material covered in Handout 2 (Bloch's Theorem)
- Handout 2 [pdf] (Bloch's Theorem)
- Handout 3 [pdf] (Nearly free electron model)
- Handout 4 [pdf] (Tight-binding model) Nearly-free electron vs tight-binding model slide [pdf]
- Handout 5 [pdf] (General points about bandstructure, DOS) Van Hove slide [pdf]
- Handout 6 [pdf] (Semiconductors and insulators)
- Handout 8 [pdf] (Graphene and Carbon nanotubes)
- Handout 7 [pdf] (Bandstructure engineering)
- Handout 9 [pdf] (Measurement of bandstructure)
- Handout 10 [pdf] (Transport of heat and electricity)
- Handout 11 [pdf] (Magnetoresistance in 3D)
- Handout 12 [pdf] (The quantum Hall effect)
- Complete set [pdf] of handouts (with table of contents) Warning: Large file (~5Mb)
Dr R Coldea [7 lectures (HT), 1 class]
Optical Properties of Solids (2012/13)
Dr LM Herz [6 lectures (TT), 1 class]
Dr Paul Goddard (Dr Peter Leek in 2013/14) [7 lectures (TT), 1 class]