DPhil candidate in Condensed Matter Theory
Graduated PhD student in the group of Prof. Julia Yeomans FRS
Main research interests:
- Theory of soft and biological matter
- Swimming at low Reynolds-number
- Non-equilibrium statistical physics
- Washing Microbes Away, Atlas of Science, 25 April 2016
- 30 under 30: Investigating How Microorganisms Swim in Complex Fluids, Scientific American, 29 June 2012
List of publications:
- Hydrodynamics of Micro-swimmers in Films, A.J.T.M. Mathijssen, A. Doostmohammadi, J.M. Yeomans and T.N. Shendruk, J. Fluid Mech. 806, 35-70 (2016)
- Understanding the Onset of Oscillatory Swimming in Microchannels , J. de Graaf, A.J.T.M. Mathijssen, M. Fabritius, H. Menke, C. Holm and T.N. Shendruk, Soft Matter 12, 4704-4708 (2016)
- Lattice-Boltzmann Hydrodynamics of Anisotropic Active Matter, J. de Graaf, H. Menke, A.J.T.M. Mathijssen, M. Fabritius, C. Holm and T.N. Shendruk, J. Chem. Phys. 144, 134106 (2016)
- Hotspots of Boundary Accumulation: Dynamics and Statistics of Micro-swimmers in flowing Films, A.J.T.M. Mathijssen, A. Doostmohammadi, J.M. Yeomans and T.N. Shendruk, J. R. Soc. Interface 13 (2015)
- Upstream swimming in microbiological flows, A.J.T.M. Mathijssen, T.N. Shendruk, J.M. Yeomans and A. Doostmohammadi, Physical Review Letters 116 (2016)
- Trajectories and displacement due to a micro-swimmer near a surface, A.J.T.M. Mathijssen, D.O. Pushkin and J.M. Yeomans, Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2015)
- Extended parameterisations for MSTW PDFs and their effect on lepton charge asymmetry from W decays, A.D. Martin, A.J.T.M. Mathijssen, W.J. Stirling, R.S. Thorne, B.J.A. Watt and G. Watt, European Physical Journal C (2013)
Blaise Pascal once wrote: "I cannot judge my work while I am doing it. I have to do as painters do, stand back and view it from a distance, but not too great a distance. How great? Guess."
Although I'm a terrible painter, I'm a great fan of the visual and aural arts. One of my favourite songs, which is all about the magic of painting, is Dammi i Colori from Puccini's Tosca.
Since October 2013 I've been the treasurer of the Oxford University Music Society. We organise concerts and shows throughout the year. Our ensembles include the oxford university orchestra, the philharmonia, the chamber music groups and most recently the jazz orchestra.
Outdoors I love to sail, cycle and hike. Let me know when you're up for a walk!